Sunday, April 10, 2011

It begins....


I haven't had a boat to call my own since 2002.  Bought exactly 2 weeks before 9/11, ownership of that boat was brief, and painful.  Oh, it was a great boat.  Brand new, 26 footer, deep hull which was perfect for the Puget Sound, lots of room, plenty of power, and really fun to cruise in.  But I paid more for that boat than I did my first house.  All I will say about that disastrous chapter is that it certainly proved the old saying about the two happiest days in a guy's life: "The day you get your boat, and the day you sell it".  Post 9/11 life eventually took it's toll, and the boat had to go (or I would have had to live in it).  A $15000.00 "bath" later, I was able to sell it to a guy on San Juan Island.  I even delivered it to him.  I'll never forget my giddyness as I drove away...  but I will admit a deep sorrow too.

Anyway... boating has always been a passion of mine.  I have wanted another boat since I got rid of the last one, but really couldn't fathom getting myself back into another boat payment.  I decided to start looking for a used boat, perhaps a "project", and began the search online.  I of course started scouring Craigslist each day, and doing some general research on different hulls.  I found myself looking for a Glasply, which was made in Marysville Washington until they went out of business some years ago.  I learned that Glasply has a very loyal, almost "cult-like" following, and there were many in my local area (Seattle).  I started reading forums, researching the feasibility of making repairs to this type of boat.  A few "Youtube" videos later, and all of a sudden I found myself with a new confidence for restoring a boat.  "I can do this!"  So my search continued.  My theory was (is?) to buy a sound hull for a song, and then spend some dough to get it back into shape.  That way, I can spread the expense out over a period of time, and when I am done, I have a new boat with no boat payment.  Seems easy enough... right?  We'll see.  


I watched CL for several weeks, and finally found this beauty, a 1980 runabout on a nice EZLoader trailer.  The best part... the owner was only asking $800.00.  Heck, the trailer should be worth half that.    The owner had many calls that first morning that the ad ran, including mine.  I knew this boat wouldn't last, so I hopped in my car that afternoon and fought rush hour traffic from Seattle to Shelton to see it.  I was the only guy that showed up to see it, and in about 40 seconds, it belonged to me.  I wasn't really looking for an Inboard/outboard boat, but I figured what the heck.  Outboard models (as it turns out) are rare.  so I brought the little gem home, and started dreaming....

Up next:  The tear down..

3 comments:

  1. So what have you done with it all year?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up a Glasply identical to yours except it is an outboard model. I have to replace a stringer so the floor needs to be gutted and part of the hull needs to be reglassed. My son and I drove up to Mt. Vernon from Puyallup today to pick it up. I'm really excited to get this project started. I can't believe how much room is in this boat!

    How's your project going? I'll send you pics of mine if you send me and email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what length is your proj. boat, i just pcked up 18.5 1978 with 270 volvo and galvy trailer, price was right [FREE] its been setting awhile in rain so expect stringer rot, i sold my 21ft thompson last year and i shouldnt have, i restore 14ft olympians for lake fishing so this will be a chalenge. email me if you like

    ReplyDelete